Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 27: On Yoga and Farting

I had planned on waiting to do yoga later but all of a sudden, I had some pretty intense pain on both of my sides. It felt like it came out of nowhere and I wasn't sure what was causing it. I suspected it could be as simple as gas--sorry if that's TMI but this is a blog about my yoga journey and farts are a very, VERY common part of yoga.


I remember having this issue when I was pregnant and the only thing that helped then was doing cat and cow so I started with that. The pain started to abate but it was still there so I decided to alternate between downward facing dog and plank. That did the trick; my diagnosis was correct and my cure worked beautifully.


Gas pains aside, I was a total mess before starting my practice. My Edelman shoulder is super tight, my toe that I crunched on day six of this project is still really sore, and as I was rolling out my mat, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and I kneeled on my left pinky finger with my most of my body weight.

All my injuries are self-inflicted.

Rather than trying to hit as many poses as I could, I decided to focus on a few and cycle through them a few times. There isn't a prize for most number of poses in a session and I think I'm getting to the point where I want to really focus on my accuracy in poses and that will require spending more time in each one. The ones I opted to focus on tonight were pigeon, downward facing dog, plank, and dolphin. I was pleasantly surprised to find how amazing my Edelman shoulder and upper back felt during dolphin, a pose that usually kicks my butt.

I'm picking you up in my weekly fantasy playoff league.
GET. YOUR SHIT. TOGETHER.

It may not have been my most impressive practice tonight but I'm pretty pleased with my results. I dealt with a physical discomfort using yoga and I feel like I improved within certain poses. While I felt for a little bit like I was stagnant, I feel like I'm moving forward again with yoga. Yes, the narcissistic part of me wants to do fancy, impressive poses but I'm more interested in seeing how actively practicing yoga and blogging about it daily affect my life, inside and out.

But if I end up being able to do this, my first post will say,
"HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW, BITCHES?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment