Sunday, December 14, 2014

Day 6: Toeing the Line of Excuses

A few years ago, my husband built us a bed frame. I absolutely love it except for one thing: it's a magnet for toes.

Insane Clown Posse makes the rest of us look like Stephen Hawking.

I don't know if we're just klutzy or what, but fairly often one of us cracks a toe on this bed frame. Sure, we could get another bed frame but really we should probably just pay attention to where we're going.



I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this: last night, I took a turn at smacking my foot on the bed frame and trying to to scream in pain and wake the baby. It didn't seem to be broken but it was pretty sore when I went to bed. It was worse when I woke up this morning--a swollen baby toe made for some difficulty walking so I decided to take it easy. Plus I'm an avid football fan and it was Sunday so all the games were on.

The man had the flu and had to get an IV in the locker room and still outperformed everyone.
MY QUARTERBACK IS BETTER THAN YOUR QUARTERBACK.

After a long day of celebrating both the Broncos (AFC West champs!) and my fantasy football team win (woo!) as well as working (there are no days off for freelancers), I realized this evening that I hadn't done any yoga yet. I couldn't let myself miss a day within a week of starting so I grabbed my mat and decided to keep it simple. I know I'd planned on doing a video today but realistically, that just wasn't going to happen.

I stuck with my basics and did a few cycles of the Ashtanga A series and a couple of the B series. My flexibility is definitely improving--I noticed I was able to touch the floor during my forward bend. Touching my toes feels like a big deal, and not just because I hurt one. After being pregnant and having a baby, not only does it feel like a miracle that I can even see my toes, but touching them feels like I'm halfway to being a human pretzel.

Pictured: my future.

I was also pleasantly surprised to feel like my practice pushed me today. Yesterday I felt like I had reached a plateau but today I actually felt my workout as I went through my poses. Maybe my muscles were tired from yesterday or maybe today I was just more focused in my poses. Whatever it was, I felt great doing my practice tonight.

Tomorrow's goal: do my daily yoga practice before 10pm. Eventually I'd love to get up to doing two practices per day, once in the morning and once in the evening, but let's be real, I'm not there yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment