Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 30: Holy Crap It's Been a Month

I didn't realize until right now that as of today, I've been doing this challenge for a month. My first milestone! I'm 1/12th of the way through my challenge and my stupid Edelman shoulder still hurts.

You better show up for my fantasy game this weekend, Edelman.
And then your team needs to lose because the Broncos are going to win the Super Bowl.

Here's where I'm at after month of yoga:

Physically: Overall, I do feel more flexible. There's been a noticeable improvement in my poses and although I'm constantly complaining about my back, hips, and shoulder, I feel better. My posture feels like it's improving--or at least, I'm more aware of my posture and how much it sucks.

Emotionally: I'm dealing with my emotions more now rather than just shoving that shit down and pretending like they don't exist. That's probably better for me in the long run but in the short term, I'm much more emotional than I'm comfortable with.

I hate feelings.

Diet: Still not great but at least I'm eating more regularly which is actually a big improvement for me.

Mentally: I'm not quite sure. There's so much going on between my son's health issues and work that I feel like I'm just barely keeping my head above water on some days. However, I've noticed that my depression hasn't been quite as debilitating since I started this project so at least there's that.

During tonight's practice, I wanted to keep doing my "focus on a couple poses" strategy. After my warm up, I did some pigeon pose which felt great on my tight hips but my upper back felt pretty awful. I did some bow pose but spent a lot of time in downward facing dog. I really tried to get my upper body in alignment and melt my heart towards the floor which helped my upper back quite a bit.

I also decided to try and stretch out my upper back the other way so I sat in hero's pose and did eagle arms.

Oh sure, she can do it without crying.

This actually felt the best on my back and shoulders, or at least it did when I stopped wincing in pain. That area still feels pretty good now but I have the sneaking suspicion it's going to be sore tomorrow.

I love yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment