Saturday, December 27, 2014

Day 18: Tight as . . .

a drum.

Why, what did you think I was going to say?

My practice tonight was short and not terribly in depth tonight because I suck. But like I've said before, even getting on my mat for a brief practice is better than not doing any yoga at all.

I opened with a couple cycles of the A series and immediately noticed how stiff my back was. Stretching my arms above my head really worked my back muscles in a way that I wasn't expecting.

I experienced a similar level of workout later
when I went in search of Oreos.

My cobra pose was also back to being fairly inflexible and my shoulders were back to being halfway to my ears. But they weren't all the way to my ears which I suppose means I'm still making a little progress in the right direction . . . or at least I'm not completely regressing to square one.

If you get this reference, we can be friends.

After my A series warm up, I mostly focused on floor work. I'd like to say I had a bigger plan for it but I was exhausted and frankly a little lazy. When I first got into pigeon pose with my left leg in front of me, my hip popped about three times. I felt like I should be concerned but it didn't really hurt afterwards so I just decided to run with it and not ask too many questions.

Nothing to see here . . .

The right side, however, made me want to cry.

I was not this stoic.

I did some more floor poses and while bow pose actually felt really good, once again child's pose is aggravating my Edelman shoulder like nobody's business. I'm really wondering if I'm doing the pose incorrectly or if I just need to give my shoulder some extra time to heal like Julian did with his "concussion."

Someone was back in practice this week after my fantasy season is already over.

Honestly, I feel like the most productive part of my practice tonight was savasana. I figure I should embrace that, especially since I've recently had so many problems with achieving a state of conscious rest. But I felt relaxed and focused and I was actually able to mentally take stock of my body and spend some time meditating on my mat. This is something that I kind of like about yoga--I tend to get the practice I need, even if it's not the practice I think I want. I'm sure there's a lesson in there about not being such a control freak but I'm too tired at the moment to try to figure that out. It'll have to wait until tomorrow's savasana.


No comments:

Post a Comment