Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 12: Learning to Do Savasana

I didn't really have a plan when I went into my yoga practice tonight. As a default, I started with a few cycles of the Ashtanga A series and during my last one, I let myself stay in standing forward bend for a while to really stretch out my neck and upper back.

My goal.

While I was on my mat, I ended up doing some poses I haven't really done that much. I wanted to bring some focus back to my arms now that I haven't had shoulder pain for several days (well, aside from Edelmaning on Thursday).

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE OUT THIS WEEK?
YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRAVEL TO NEW YORK WITH THE TEAM!
THIS WEEKEND IS A PLAYOFF GAME IN MY FANTASY LEAGUE!
ARGGGGH!!!!!!

I spent some time in dolphin and dolphin plank. I didn't feel much like a dolphin but I did feel a little like crying. I also did bow pose which I haven't done for months. It felt great at the time but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate my shoulders tomorrow. Here's a great demonstration photo from yogabycadence.com:

Weeping quietly is apparently optional.

I also did boat pose and my abdominal muscles shook like crazy the entire time. I'm not surprised though--they've been a little sore for the last couple days and they really haven't gotten much attention from me over the last couple years, especially since I spent most of 2013 being pregnant and most of 2014 not exercising.

Unless you count my failed attempt at Zumba.

I feel like my biggest breakthrough in my practice tonight came during savasana. I realized that over the last couple days, I've been rushing savasana because I've been eager to finish my practice and update this blog. Tonight, I stayed put and at first, my mind was racing a mile a minute. My body felt agitated with nervous energy and all I wanted was to move.



But then I started to relax. My mind quieted and I felt a deep peacefulness settle into my body. I became very aware of my muscles and I was able to enjoy a few minutes with myself. It felt so nice, especially with the mental fog I've been dealing with from having to spend so much time on my computer for work, and I felt more like myself in those few minutes than I did all day.

I need to make sure that I'm taking time to properly close my practice. Rushing savasana doesn't benefit me in the slightest and I need to remember to take time to be quiet. As a mom, I feel like I'm constantly in motion but it's important to be still every once in a while.

Amidoinitrite?

No comments:

Post a Comment