Sunday, May 24, 2015

Day 2 (Again): Listening to My Body

After getting my butt kicked in class yesterday, I didn't want to lose my enthusiasm for restarting my yoga practice. However, my body seems to disagree as I have been hobbling around all day.

Doing laundry has been interesting.

Thinking about when I practiced yoga before, I noticed that I didn't really listen to my body. I pushed my Edelman shoulder too hard, I delayed rehabbing my knee, and I generally didn't give my body a chance to heal after a particularly strenuous practice. I want to learn from my mistakes to make my practice stronger as I go forward.

With that in mind, I opted instead to focus on meditation today. I sat in cobbler's pose so I could at least technically call it yoga and for ten minutes, I just focused on ujjayi breathing. I've always found the ocean very relaxing and doing the "ocean breath" helped quiet my mind. For at least a few minutes of my meditation, my gaze was so focused inward that I wasn't aware of all my physical aches and pains.

Lifting my arm this high makes me want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment